Feb 7, 2011

Thoughts from Last Night

Watching the game last night with my father and a few of his friends gave me a new perspective on how to watch football. Here are a few of the highlights:

-My father and I are offered a beer by the host, and we graciously accept. The first beer that gets brought out is covered in what looks to be motor oil, so we pointed that out and had him grab us a new one. He came out with two shiny new "Molson Goldens." I had never seen this brand before but figured it may be a cultural beer or something (it was a very diverse group). I took the first sip and realized that this beer had definitely fermented. When my friend who was there (the hosts son) came out of the bathroom and looked at what we were drinking, he had that look like he'd just walked in on his parents gettin freaky. He then gave us this important piece of information. "Those beers were from my Grandmothers retirement party from Niagra Mohawk. Theyre at least eight years old."If you've never had fermented beer, let me tell you, there's nothing quite like it. It made the game about 75% less enjoyable for me. Drinking a brand new Molsen Golden probably would have been bad enough, so thank you for that Niagra Mohawk retirement brew and your hospitality.

-Watching a game with old cats can be both educational and (more so) annoying at the same time. Every time my dad would see a number on a jersey he'd say something like "hey that's_____" number, he was a great player, as everyone in the room gets excited and tells their favorite uninteresting story about that player.

-As Dubroff can attest, the owner of the house Terry, is a tank of a man. I kid you not, he knocked out at least half of one of those huge Zita pans of banana pudding, it was incredible. We all sat there in awe.

-It looked like they were pulling a weekend at Bernie's stunt when Slash got on stage for the halftime show. I think they were moving him with puppet strings.

- As for the game, I knew that either way it would be a close game. I never expected Big Ben to beat himself, like he did with those first half turnovers that put them in too big a hole. Really, that was the only way the Packers could have won, because Pittsburgh is built on holding leads, not catching up. I knew it would be a great struggle for them if they fell behind. I'm not sure which fan base is more obnoxious so I really don't care that either team won.
In the big picture I'd say the one thing people will always remember about this game is that it was Rodgers coming out party as a legit star, and not much else, unless you count whatever the Black Eyed Peas were doing at halftime. All in all I would call it a success, and no young women were harmed.

No comments: