Jan 24, 2011

Fun with Quotes

When you were in school one of the signs that the year was coming to a merciful close was yearbook day. In elementary and middle school this was a rather large day for a couple of reasons. You got to sign your guy friends year book with one of three statements: 1) (whoever's book you were signing) is gay/loves cock. 2) A foul joke about someones sister or mom, and 3) some kind of inside joke. If it was a girl you liked than you probably would stiff arm other girls trying to get you to sign your yearbook (like I did in sixth grade with Anne Branson) to get to your prize (Briana Mott in sixth grade). In the end it was usually disappointing to get the perfunctory "Have a nice summer" in neat writing. Around eighth grade yearbooks became incredibly uncool for some reason, and you don't think about them again until your senior yearbook. Yes for roughly $2000 you get to have a picture of yourself that looks way better than real life, and add your own "unique" quote to really leave your mark on the school that you called home. Recently I looked back at my senior yearbook and found some absolute gems for quotes.
My twisted self can relate most things to the NBA, and some of the quotes by our scholar peers I thought fit NBA teams perfectly. Each of the seven teams that have a shot at the title this year has their very own quote from the F-M 2006 yearbook to sum up their teams state and chances at a title.

Miami Heat
"I graduated didn't I"-Colin Simmons

Simple, intimidating, doesn't totally make sense. Colin made this quote more than likely in an effort to flex his muscle over Ian "M-trax" Motonse and Chris Dohr as the dominant minority in the F-M halls. He succeeded in being intimidating, and being simple, but as with a lot that my good friend said, there wasn't enough thought and it left you scratching your head.
The same is true for this version of the Miami Heat. This recent four game skid has shown what will happen to the Heat when one of the big three is either hurt or not playing at their best. In an 82 game season where your body gets pummeled, and there's en extra two months of playoffs if you advance, having a three man roster of James, Wade, and Bosh is simple, and intimidating-but it doesn't totally make sense. I expect next year to parallel the real Colin Simmons and round into shape with more structure once they bring in better support/role players to surround them.

Orlando Magic
"If you believe in the "S" you'll be relieving your stress"-Steve DePaulis

A quote from Snoop Dog that was stolen by yours truly. I love that the Magic shook their roster up mid season like that and brought in guys who were way more talented than what they had before. That having been said, having Gilbert, Hedo, and to an extent Dwight kind of scares me. I don't feel like their bball I.Q is very high, and each can become very undisciplined. Thats why they need to believe in my main man Stan if they have any hope at a title.
Stan to me doesn't get nearly enough credit for being a great coach. He's not only a good motivator, but I think a great X's and O's coach (look no further than one of the great play calls ever at the end of regulation in game 2 of the 09 finals, when Courtney Lee blew the game winning layup on an unreal inbounds play that was drawn up). For this group to go anywhere they are going to have to put their faith in the master of panic.

OKC Thunder
"Run all Day and Run all night"-Maggie Terpstra

Until Serge Ibaka is the starting center and playing 35-40 minutes a night, the only way the Thunder can beat elite teams is by turning the game into a track meet. If in the Western Conference semifinals they square off against the Lakers, they have proven that if the game is in the 90's than they have no chance. They need to use Westbrook to play almost a 05 Suns style of ball, especially when he gets a defensive rebound. OKC wearing out the Lakers and using their distinct athletic advantage is the only hope that they have to come out of the West.

Boston Celtics
"I wake up with nothing to do and go to bed with it still not done"-Joe Willet

I felt this quote applied to them mainly because I feel like it's something Shaq would say. For the most part this Celtics team has nothing left to prove to anybody. Unlike our lovable poet Joe Willet, this team will not go to bed with it not done. The Celtics have a quiet confidence about them that I love. I think that Rondo needs to step up as weird as that sounds. They need his scoring to be closer to 13-15 a game instead of around 10. The Celtics are an older team and will need his help picking up the scoring load in the second half as they shoot for the number 1 overall seed, which can be quite convenient in a Game 7.

Chicago Bulls

"I dreamed I ate a ten pound marshmallow and when I woke up my pillow was gone."-Nick Kelly

The night that Nick had that dream he must have thought it was a pip dream that he could eat either a ten pound marshmallow or a pillow. When training camp broke for the Bulls most within the organization thought that they were probably another year away from a title run. Hover, much like Nick with his pillow, the impossible can come true. They are such an athletic team(with good motors) that it turns Jay Bilas on. That elusive shooter to stretch the defense especially in crunch time can make that impossible dream become a reality.

San Antonio Spurs
"My name is Jonathan Rothwell. I like computers and animals. Hello to all my friends."

Slightly breaking the mold here, as this is from the 2000 Wellwood yearbook, but it applied so I had to use it. A simple unassuming formula towards a quote, became perhaps the greatest quote anyone has churned out in a long time. The Spurs have used the same formula. Slap three great players and teammates together, and pray for good health. I believe that like Mr.Rothwells quote, these Spurs can stand the test of time, and will not fade away. I predict an epic 7 game series in the Western Conference finals (like the 02 Kings Lakers) where their simple formula may validate itself.

Los Angeles Lakers
"I didn't fall to peer pressure, my peers fell to me."-Justin Miller

The Lakers have sat back and watched everyone else clown around these last six months just to try to fit in, just to try and get on their level. Problem is, the LAkers are already cool, and already better than the other teams. I expect nothing different this year. They can be singing their peers fell to them again, when they take home another title in June.

No comments: