Oct 27, 2008

SHIT'S ABOUT TO GET ROWDY

Philadelphia hasn't been this happy since Super Bowl XXXIX, when Donovan reportedly threw up their chances in the last minute. And this is quite a bit more definite. As I am here, I thought I'd write about the atmosphere, because it extends way beyond the South Philadelphia Sports Complex area. EVERYBODY is gettin' perked, both through foreign materials as well as through the success of the Phillies (and some with the foreign materials because of the Phillies). I saw one dude walking around in a Mets hat and generally just getting jeered. People weren't even trying to kick him or anything, just mocking his hat choice! It is amazing.
The day that Philadelphians had yesterday was ethereal. For the first time in the history of the South Philadelphia Sports Complex, two teams played home games on the same day. And The Who played a show at the Wachovia Center while the Phillies played Game 4. Both were preceded by the Eagles beating the Falcons easily. But for all of this I just want you to close your eyes and imagine this: tailgating the Eagles game at 11AM, going to the Eagles game, leaving the Eagles game perked from the victory, having to find a new parking spot (probably not possible, even as Lincoln Financial was, as usual when they are in contention, filled up), tailgating for the Phillies, going into the Phillies game and watching the mass extinction of the World Series' hopes of a species, and then leaving to revel on Broad Street? I'd fucking dig that. That is the opposite of sports fan suicide.
Tonight, I'll be watching at a local bar, and then hopefully tomorrow, I'll be at a parade. To those who doubt my plans, I say, WHY CAN'T US?

No comments: