Jun 15, 2011

Slammys Part 2 presented by TV Lands hit new sitcom "Hot in Cleveland"

A few finals thoughts before we get to the Slammy's:

-Perhaps everyone who picked the Mavs to win the Finals weren't racists after all
-Dallas won this series because of their defense, specifically in Games 2 and 4. Miami still shut down the Mavs for the first five games. What I never in a million years would have expected was Dallas to step up to the challenge and totally take the Heat out of their offense, especially in those two pivotal games
-As much of a little boy as he is, if Miami had consistently fed Chris Bosh the ball, we may be talking about them as champs today. If for no other reason, to put Dirk or Chandler (both of which NEED to stay out of foul trouble to win) in foul trouble, or tire them out. Also after a couple shaky games to start the series, he was effective later this series in his limited touches
-Dirk would not have his ring if not for JJ Barea and Jason Terry...let that soak in for a moment
-DeShawn Stevenson is my new favorite crazy player in the league narrowly edging Captain Jack
-There isn't enough space or time for me to discuss what happened to LeBron in this series
-Dirk is the best basketball player on the planet right this second

On to Part 2 of the Slammy's

Dan McKeever/Yovani Gallardo Award for Worst Annual Fantasy Duo

Every season I have the same strategy in fantasy baseball. First and foremost I load up on starting pitching (I've had Doc Halladay every year that I've ever played), because that's half of the game, and I can never figure out why people pick one or two mediocre starters in fantasy baseball and expect to compete. The other strategy that I have is to get elite infielders at every position. Elite infielders are the scarcest in the sport, so usually in the first seven rounds, I will have spent all of my picks on starters and infielders/catcher(s). It's proven to be a great strategy,as I'm generally successfull in most leagues I'm in. However, it also means that my outfielders normally blow donkey balls. For the third year in a row, I'm stuck with the least exciting player to ever own as my third outfielder...Bobby Abreu. It's become a part of summer that I just accept and move on now.

Miguel Cairo Punch and Judy Award

Sadly...Derek Jeter. Derek Jeter along with Mo is my favorite baseball player of all time. He's been a part of my day to day life since first grade. No baseball player will ever mean as much to me. His credentials speak for themselves, and is an athlete who actually got better on the biggest stages. He made the greatest defensive play off all time on his flip to get Jeremy Giambi at the plate in the 2001 ALDS (I have always been a fan who kept perspective and wasn't blinded to make ridiculous claims about my team. So when I make this claim it's what I truly think. When you factor in the situation of the Game-Yankees clinging to a 1-0 lead in the seventh inning, the situation of the series-Yankees trailing 0-2 in the ALDS to the pitching heavy A's who had two home games in a row coming up, and what it meant-it single handidly saved the game, series, and lead to the Yankees making a seventh game of the World Series and rejuvenating a city under crisis in New York by playing in one of the greatest baseball series ever played. That's the context. The actual play itself is breath-taking when you truly think about it. First of all, I believe that no SS in baseball would have been within 30 feet of where Jeter was on that play-it was pure instinct at it's best. More under rated is the fact that once he was in that position, to make that play accurately to flip the ball to the right spot as he was running so hard to his left that he started to stumble just made that play something that I will tell my grand kids about one day after they change my diaper. OK now back to 2011). That's why it's so painful to watch Jeter get up there and do his best Scooter Rizzuto impersonation by not being able to get the ball to the warning track anymore. I would absolutely pay for a batch of steroids for my favorite Yankee.

Billy Bean era Oakland A's award for "Wait their cleanup hitter is who?" award for sorriest lineup

The Oakland A's...and their cleanup hitter last night??? Josh Willingham hitting .234 on the year. Wow. Even better. Their number three hitter was Hideki Matsui...who's hitting .221.

2005 Adrian Beltre most shameful contract year performance

To the Mets speedster Jose Reyes. So let's see, after four straight seasons of regression, and injury as a result of not being in top shape, Jose is absolutely murdering the ball. That's convenient. Shame on the team that will inevitably give Jose five years and $100 million in the off season.

Doris Burke award for creating bad media

Doris Burke has been so offensive as a NBA analyst/reporter that her award transcends sports. How appropriate that John Sterling matched her ineptitude last night during the Yankees game. AROD hit a ball to the track, that Sterling no joke for 10 seconds called a Home Run as he began to go into all his theatrics. Upon realizing the ball was in fact caught, his reason for blowing the call was that he saw a fan in the first row stand up. You can't make this stuff up...but I love the guy.

Until next year, this has been the first annual slammy awards. Thanks for participating

No comments: