Apr 9, 2011

Sox Win! Sox Win! Sox Win!

Cue the music!



Notes on the Red Sox Championship Run 2011:

-Adrian Gonzalez looks like a lock for AL MVP--don't doubt my bona fides on this, I was the guy who picked Pedroia 1st overall in fantasy baseball in 2008 to much ridicule, only to have him go on to win MVP. I call 'em like I see 'em. Last time I checked going 2 for 4 every night with 2 RBI is a pretty good way to make your case.

-The old Pap is back! Guy burned heaters through the top of the vaunted Yankees lineup in his first save opportunity of the season. His stuff was decent in Spring Training and in the scrimmages against Texas and Cleveland, but now that we're trying I don't see anyone stopping him, or our four-headed bullpen monster of Pap, Bard, Jenks, and Wheeler. Eat your heart out, Philly!

-Every baseball fan knows there's only room for one truly obese reliever in any bullpen (the official title for this position is the Innings Eater), so I was glad to see we designated that bum Dennys Reyes for assignment. Bobby Jenks has the market cornered on fat relief on this team, meat. Maybe if you spent a little more time in the gym and a little less time at actual Denny's, you'd still be with the club. Either way, you get to watch someone serve up a Grand Slam! /booooooo

Speaking of food, I wholeheartedly agree with Girardi Party's assessment that we need a lifestyle section at the Buzzer focusing on food, drink, entertainment, etc. I don't know what we should call it yet, but here are a few suggestions I have to enhance your baseball viewing experience this week:

-I've tried and failed to find a way to stream radio broadcasts of MLB games online for free while I'm at work--as far as I know, it can't be done. MLB is extremely rigorous about protecting their stuff. So I signed up for MLB Gameday Audio ($19.99) and haven't looked back--you can choose the home or away broadcast in English or Spanish (Benito Juanes only) for every game on the MLB schedule. This even allows me to do the Ben Johns Commemorative "Watch The TV Broadcast On Mute And A Two-Second Lag And Listen To The Radio Guys Instead" move when I want to watch the Nationals, but don't want to listen to those jokers on MASN talk about Jayson Werth's beard every single broadcast. For you guys who are in better baseball markets, this might not matter--I know it's Yankees/Mets in Syracuse and I'm guessing it's Phillies/maybe Pirates in Philly, but when the AL team in your market is the (first-place!) Orioles, you have to get crafty.

By the way--in the same vein that we shouldn't take the Sox' perfomances in the Texas and Cleveland dress rehearsals too seriously, let's not all shit ourselves just yet over Baltimore. Remember 2005, when the O's (carried by Miguel Tejada) and Nats (carried by Nick Johnson, of all people) were in first place for most of the first half of the season? How'd that work out? Sure, that team can hit--a middle of the order of Reynolds, D. Lee, and Vladdy should scare anybody--but when your ace is Jake Arietta, I'm not inking you in for the playoffs just yet.

-Food: I have no basis for this, but I feel like football is a pizza sport and basketball is a wings sport. I don't know what to eat when watching baseball, aside from Mama Dep's Famous Butterless Popcorn of course. Help me out here, I'm waffling between Shrimp Poppers, Toast Taco, or Chef's Choice.

-Drink: Old Style!



I'm 99% sure this Midwestern beer is just a 50-50 blend of PBR and Bud Light, but it does the trick and is the only beer that's guaranteed to cost less than $5 anywhere you go in Chicago (with the exception of $7 tallboys at Wrigley). Inspired by Frank Gallagher of Showtime's "Shameless", which is batting cleanup as this week's TV pick--before you start, I don't get Showtime either, just download the torrent.

Anyway, first pitch is at 1:10, and I have to get breakfast and showering out of the way, so until next time--peace. Corona.


No comments: