Jun 23, 2009

Recording Liiiiive from Somewhere...

I arrived yesterday at around 4:30 to Ben Gurion International Airport, and let's just say that it took me 20 minutes to get through customs control because my ears did mad poppin' off during the flight from Paris. Also, while going through security in Paris, I somehow was able to function without a translation necessary. And during the flight to Paris, I finally got to watch The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, which is definitely a masterpiece, albeit the longest masterpiece. The makeup was just splendiferous. And how can one make a tragedy that long? David Fincher, you never cease to amaze me.
Sorry for that backwards chronology a la Memento, that one episode of Seinfeld, and AP US History inspired by that episode of Seinfeld, but back to my arrival. I got into a packed Sherut and we made our way to Jerusalem on an alternate path taking a route towards Modiin since Route 1 was bumper to bumper for kilometres. One of the more prominent things you see on this route is the construction of the barrier. It will continue to be a point of contention in negotiations especially because Israel may decide to take in settlements like Gush Emunim on its side, and especially because, when coupled with Netanyahu's condition of Palestinian recognition of Israel as a Jewish state, will eliminate the right of return that is seen as essential to many Palestinians who are now refugees after having lived on land they believed they rightfully owned beforehand. So, where do we go from there? The problem is that someone will get disappointed in these negotiations, with no one deserving it any more than the other. However, Israeli disappointment should be kept to a minimum. Remember that Israel has won all those wars and in the case of one Israel's peace agreements with Arab countries, with Egypt, Israel has made concessions. Egypt received the Sinai, receiving popular tourist locales such as Mount Sinai and Sharm al Sheik, as well as having all land surrounding the Suez Canal (however, there doesn't seem to be any risk of Mubarak trying to nationalize like Nasser did in 1956) along with a peace guarantee, which was all Israel really wanted out of the negotiations ater the near disaster that was the Yom Kippur War. The treaty with Jordan was seen as just a normalization as Israel had left the Jordanian Army in shambles after the Six Day War.
But do the Israelis have a duty to help a refugee issue that the creation of their state made an issue? I believe so. As Arabs label the Israeli government as having characterisitics of the Nazi regime, Israel should look back to the time when Jews were made into a refugee situation by the Nazis and had to struggle to establish their own land. Netanyahu has taken the first step to helping them realize this goal, but Palestinian leaders must realize that Israel never was able to achieve all its aspirations as a nation in terms of territory and international standing. Hopefully, a peace treaty with the Palestinians will help Israel not be seen as a pariah within the UN (Security Council membership finally if they join a bloc?) and possibly make it easier to qualify for the World Cup (UEFA can be a bit of a doozy).
Other tidbits:
Most awkward situation of my life:
Wearing a t-shirt and shorts in Har Nof, I learned I had to walk through a wedding hall to pick up my phone since the front door had a chain around it. I was unaware that a wedding was going on, so I basically got looked at like I was on a walk of shame while entering and exiting the phone store.
An Act of War:
The relative with whom I was staying was unable to help me pick up my phone, so her significant other drove me to Har Nof in her place. He took me to get the most amazing pita ever: the Jerusalem, which has chicken, turkey, shwarma, and lamb. I know, right? But anyways, he also told me about his son's experience as part of the Mifgash (encounter) for Birthright. Reportedly, some "extracurricular" activities were going on between the Israeli soldiers and the American college students and, HAFTA-AH! (SURPRISE!-you just got your second piece of Hebrew vocabulary in ONE paragraph), an Israeli soldier got swine flu. Is this considered an act of biological warfare? I'll go with no, but seriously, scientists, we need to get this shit under control.
I'm signing off for now, but I'll try to get back on here tomorrow. I start class on Thursday, but there is mandatory orientation tomorrow.

Peace and love. I leave you with the Jerusalem sunset and Chords Bridge:





No comments: